Am I on track?

Am I on track?

Tuesday 21 June 2011

"Reverse" goal setting

I may have mentioned previously that my cycling goal for the year is the Ipswich Open (both an individual time trial and a road race) in October 2011.  Its probably wildly over-optimistic given my 8 month absence from the bike, but you have to have a goal, right??

So, in order to work out the steps to get there, I've worked backwards...   If I'm going to race the Ipswich Open in October, then...
  • ...in September - I have to be racing in my club criteriums at Murarrie, so I have some racing efforts in my legs. Which means...
  • ...in August - I have to be riding in my long, pacy club group rides. Both to have some decent mileage in my legs, and to ensure I have my group riding skills back up to scratch again for racing.  Which means...
  • ...in July - I need to be back to cycle-commuting regularly, and getting in some decent (but slow) weekend rides to prep the legs for the group rides.  Which means...
  • ...in June - for the rest of this month, I need to get used to just being on the bike again. And getting myself mentally ready for commuting, plus ensuring I have all my gear ready for it.
Hopefully that will have me ready to race in October, with the goal of simply finishing the race with the main peloton.

2 comments:

  1. Where are you riding? I, too, am fat and slow, and could join you. Not to imply that you are fat or slow, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - fat & slow is a very apt description!! I'm almost 10kg heavier than I was when I got knocked off the bike...

    Have just been hitting the local streets for now as I try and rebuild my 'traffic sense' and get my skill levels back - hopefully will be farther afield soon... Will let you know!!

    ReplyDelete