Am I on track?

Am I on track?

Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Great Training Plan - stage 1...

At the start of this month, I decided it was time to step things up training-wise.  I was only 8 weeks out from my A-race for the season, the Avanti Classic, and I needed to start moving my fitness up in a big and decisive way.

To date, I've been 'just riding' - basically logging as many kilometres as possible to try and get my legs in good shape.  I've also thrown some intensity here and there just to keep things interesting and help keep my leg speed sharp.

Has it been successful? Well, I've already blogged about how consistency has been an issue for me, due to weather, work, and family activities all taking precedence.

But now, its time to get serious...

With 8 weeks until the big dance, I decided to set up a 'training plan'.  Not so much a detailed plan - I know I wouldn't be able to stick rigidly to it due to 'life' getting in the way - but more like training guidelines that'll get me to my race in great shape.

The plan is in two stages, with the first stage having kicked off when May began, and ending with the Metropolitan Championships on Sunday 27th May.

Here are my guiding training principles for this first 27 day period:

  • Overall mileage goal of at least 600km for the month - a big jump for me, as I've averaged less than 400km/month so far this year...
  • Cycle-commute both to & from work at least 3 days/week - this always provides a solid base for me at over 20km each way for my commute, plus I'll make one of these days a hard, high intensity training day...
  • No more than two days off the bike in a row - this is so I maintain consistency with my cycling...
  • Hit up Mt Gravatt for some hill reps once/week - given there are some lumps in the Avanti Classic course, this'll get my hill-climbing in order for the race...
  • Race as often as possible - I'll be aiming to race the club criteriums every weekend, to both get 'race pace' into my legs and to be mentally strong as well...
  • Culminate in using the Metropolitan Championships as a mid-way 'dress rehearsal' - its also a road race over rough country roads, except it shorter (46km versus 80km) and reportedly hillier...
Nine days into the month, and everything is on track so far.  My legs have responded extremely well (one of the upsides of being under-trained!), and I'm feeling positive and confident.  I'm really looking forward to my first club criterium racethis month to see how the initial part of stage 1 has improved my legs...

No comments:

Post a Comment